Monday 9 March 2009

Trial by Classroom and My first weekend

So this weekend I went exploring.  I rocked up to the end of the Bundang line and found the hospital I need to go to for my physical, then stopped off at a few subway stops nearer to home to have a nosey.  Pretty much every store I went into on Saturday was hopelessly out of my price range.  Bundang is a very rich area, and the store-owners know it!

Which is why I, along with trusty exploring companion Alex, decided to look closer to home in Ori.  During this time, we found more amazingly expensive stores, accidentally wandered into a Korean wedding reception (who has their reception IN A DEPARTMENT STORE!?) and then we discovered the E-Mart.

E-Mart is like a 24 hour Tesco Extra store writ even bigger.  It is 4 floors of homewares, electronics, food, sports, clothes, coffee, nail salons, and toys.  And what's more, the prices are actually reasonable.  I got myself a toaster, coathangers, bedding and a week's shop for under 50,000 won (£25).  We also found an awesome but pricey Korean restaurant nearby; there's this pork dish (galbim, possibly) that is simply brilliant.  For less than 4 pounds per person.

Then Monday came; after 3 days of hurried training I was let loose on a classroom.  And I floundered like a freshly caught fish in a net.  I drew massive blanks on all my prepared topics and rushed straight through to the excercises in the textbooks, leaving me with almost 20 minutes of "dead air" at the end.  Not the greatest of starts, but I got back on the teaching horse and, in the gap between classes, rewrote my notes, made a catalogue of my mistakes and wrote a checklist of things to do at the beginning of the lesson (if I had done these at the beginning, I would have had 5 minutes of dead air; not a good thing, but better than 20), and the second lesson was a vast improvement; I was calmer, more collected, more clear in my lecture.  True, I still managed to run under, but I thought that a Q&A would fill the time, and it did.

Until I was reminded that I didn't go through the homework with them.  

Arse. 

Still, third time's a charm.  But today I also have my first Speaking class, which means I'll probably go through the same bout of terror once I realised I fluffed a line as I did yesterday.  Oh well, live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment