Wednesday 27 May 2009

It's been a while.

This last few weeks have been full of upheaval, international tension, presidential suicide and swine flu.  Here's the skinny:

I've been transferred out of my current hagwon for being, and I quote, "too boring".  However, considering certain other circumstances (one of our teachers recently renewed his contract for another year, dropping attendances, the fact I am one of 2 English teachers at this level) I suspect other forces are at work.  I start at my new place on Monday.

Speaking of new starts, the latest government panic is about Swine Flu.  Over 50 foreign teachers (from other schools) have been quarantined so far, and all new teachers (for all schools) are being isolated until further notice.  What does this mean for me? Well, apart from having to jump in at the deep end by covering a shedload of classes at my new school without knowing anything about the syllabus or indeed how to teach elementaries, I have to have my temperature taken daily and "avoid public areas".  Not only this, but I get the feeling I'll be treated worse than usual by the average Korean, as the media focusses on the fact that THE EVIL FOREIGNERS MAY HAVE SWINE FLU!!! (As opposed to the 20-odd Koreans who DEFINITELY have it).

Also, the North has been threatening "military strikes" against the south in the aftermath of this nuclear test.  Before, I would treat these attempts at sabre-rattling as precisely that.  But after the last few weeks, well, I'm paranoid.  I have signed onto the embassy's mailing and calliing lists, but have stopped short of preparing an escape bag.

I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment